Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Martha Graham Dance Company in Des Moines

The Martha Graham Dance Company, accompanied by DSM Symphony, was enjoyed by all. We, with Issa's friend Suzanne, were entertained by quintessential Graham ballet pieces.

Appalachian Spring, "Ballet for Martha," 1944, is a classic, with my favorite heartwarming folk song Simple Gifts by Aaron Copland.

I did not fully get the story of Cave of the Heart, 1946, until I read the program notes. Yes; love, betrayal, vengeance - so sad.

Diversion of Angels, 1948, was love in colors: white as mature love, red as erotic love, yellow as adolescent love. I enjoyed this best because it was more classical ballet, instead of modern American dance which confuses me.

The dancers were all beautiful - toned, strong yet graceful, well trained in their craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment